How to Be Happier Without Really Trying summarizes a lot of the tactics I take in my own life to be happier (errr, more tranquil). This post does a good job summarizing Epicurean philosophies
- Live For Pleasure: Not the frat party kind. Prize tranquility. We should be strategic hedonists. Think about the responsibly happy life you would wish for your children.
- The Three Types Of Pleasure: Focus on Necessary pleasures like friendship.
- Enjoy Extravagant pleasures as long as they don’t require too much or infringe on the Necessary. Abolish Corrosive desires like the pursuit of fame and status.
- Seek “Enough”: Satisfaction beats success. What we call “success” is often just slavery to Corrosive desire
- Friendship is #1: (If you stop reading this right now to go laugh with friends over pizza, I promise not to be disappointed.)
- Pleasure Can Make Us Resilient: Supportive friends, warm memories, and gratitude. A focus on these Necessary pleasures can give us strength.