For a Future-Friendly Web on A List Apart
I had the extreme privilege of writing an article for A List Apart, an invaluable resource I’ve been learning from since day one of my career. Now it’s one thing to get a chance to contribute to something that’s given me so much, but it’s something else entirely to be featured next to the great Stephanie Rieger. I’ve been heavily influenced by Yiibu‘s work and I’ve learned so much from her and Bryan, so it’s an absolute honor. Her piece is called The Best Browser is the One You Have with You and is an absolute must-read.
There’s a lot of resources in my article, so I’ve gathered them all here in one place:
- Future Friendly
- The American Diet: 34 Gigabytes a Day
- Cell phones and American adults (PDF)
- Laser Focus on the Future Friendly site
- Hoarding on Wikipedia
- The Discipline of Content Strategy
- Where Have All the Leaders Gone? by Lee Iacoca
- Responsive Design Essentials: Look Great on any Device
- Content like water: design flexible content to flow anywhere. from @globalmoxie
- Lucy and Ethel struggling to keep up on the candy assembly line
- Future Ready Content
- Daniel Jacobson on Twitter
- COPE: Create Once Publish Everywhere
- Moore’s Law
- The Coming Zombie Apocalypse
- Scott Jenson on Twitter
- In-Stat: 339 million low-cost Android smartphones to ship worldwide in 2015
- It’s about people, not devices
- Understanding Progressive Enhancement
- Mobile First
- Support Vs. Optimization
- Angry Birds For Blackberry
- A Form of Madness
- Structured Content First
- Responsive Web Design
- Responsive Images: How They Almost Worked and What We Need
- Not a Mobile Web, Merely a 320px Wide One
- On Mobile Context
- When People Use Different Devices
- Device APIs Working Group
- A Tel Tale Sign
- How to Send a Text Message from Your Mobile Website
- MIT Media Lab Hacks the Kinect for Browser Navigation With Gestures
- Google bringing HTML5 speech input support to Chrome
- Command Your Fleet on the Future Friendly website
- WebSocket Racer Demo with iPhone Remote
- Using Node.js and your phone to control a Browser game
- The Web Is Dead
- Web Technologies Need an Owner
- Future Friendly
Over 40 links? Damn.
Thank you thank you thank you
I know this is just an article, but—shit man—I spent a lot of time on it. Because of that I want to thank some people that really helped me out.
- All of the Future Friendly collaborators for crafting these thoughts—Jason Grigsby, Lyza Danger Gardner, Luke Wroblewski, Josh Clark, Scott Jehl, Jeremy Keith, Scott Jenson, Bryan Rieger, Stephanie Rieger.
- The wonderful ALA people, especially Krista Stevens who very nicely pushed me to stop sucking at writing, and Jeffery Zeldman who gave me the opportunity to write for ALA.
- Awesome people—Jack Bishop, Dave Olsen, Aaron Gustafson, Mike Gallay, Ethan Marcotte, James Pearce, Brian Fling, Matt Marquis, Tim Kadlec, Jason Head, Val Head, Paul Irish and plenty more
- Twitter – Everyone who I go back and forth with on a regular basis. People who share links, call bullshit and enjoy the ongoing conversation as much as I do.
- My wife, who puts up with all this crazy shit. I love her to death.
This was a big challenge for me and I’m happy I saw it through. Now on to the next challenges!